College of Science Commencement: Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I RSVP for the ceremony?
Per the email invitation, go to http://cos2.arizona.edu/reg/ and follow the instructions.
- How do I get tickets? Is there a charge?
No tickets and no charge for guests. Seating is on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- What departments/majors are honored at the College of Science Commencement?
The following majors participate: Astronomy, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Computer Science, Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, Biology, Environmental Hydrology & Water Resources, Geosciences, Information, Science, Technology & Arts, Integrated Science, Mathematics, Molecular & Cellular Biology, Physics, Psychology, Science Education, Speech Language & Hearing Sciences, Cognitive & Neuroscience, Applied Biosciences/Industrial Physics/Mathematics, Atmospheric Sciences, Audiology, Hydrology, and Planetary Science.
- When do I need to show up at UA McKale Center if I'm graduating?
The ceremony begins at 2:00 p.m., and you will need to check-in at a student registration table, to get your name card. Students need to arrive 1 1/2 hrs - 1 hour to arrive prior to the start of the ceremony.
- How do I know where to sit?
All graduates will be ushered to sit with their departments on the floor of the Arena. Guests will be seated in the stands.
- How do we get up on stage to be recognized?
You will be seated by department. An usher will signal your department to line up at the right of the stage. Undergraduates will line up first, followed by Master's students, followed by PhD's. You will hand your card to one of the people seated at the laptop computer by the entrance to the stage. They will hand it back to you, and then you move forward and hand it to the name reader.
- When can I tell my family/friends to arrive at the UA McKale Center?
Doors will open at 1:00 pm for family and guests to find seating.
- Where do I tell my family/friends to park for the ceremony?
Cherry Street Garage is the closest parking garage to McKale Center, but will likely fill quickly, so allow plenty of time to find parking
- What do I wear?
We encourage you to wear cap and gown, or you can wear business dress. Graduate students being hooded, must wear cap & gown
. Order your cap and gown from the UA Bookstore.
- How about confetti or silly string, etc?
In consideration of the graduation ceremonies that will follow the College of Science, absolutely NO CONFETTI or Silly String of any kind will be permitted at the ceremony
. Students that violate this rule will be asked to leave the ceremony.
- I saw a photographer taking photos during the ceremony; how can I order them?
When you RSVP, you let us know if you want to be contacted by the photographer or you can go to gradimages.com to order your prints.
- I'm a graduate student with a mentor who will be hooding me. How does that work?
We reserve seats near the stage for mentors. When your department is called, your mentor will follow you onto the stage and hood you.
- Who is the Speaker?
- What if I need special accommodations for myself or guests?
- The stage for commencement is wheelchair accessible.
- In addition, seating for guests in wheelchairs or guests that require accessible seating will be guided to the floor of the arena.
- When is the University-wide Graduation ceremony?
Saturday, May 16th, 2015 at 7:30 PM in the Arizona Stadium. All graduating students will be recognized (undergrads and graduate students) Visit the Commencement web page at: http://commencement.arizona.edu, information is provided, to include details about individual Colleges and their ceremonies.